The Bank was established in 1892, and is a nationally chartered commercial bank regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. When banks in the United States were ordered closed by the federal government during the Depression’s “bank holiday”, Ramsey was one of the first banks permitted to open in recognition of its financial strength. In 1954 the Bank’s name was changed to The Ramsey National Bank, and in 1972 with the addition of trust powers the name was changed to The Ramsey National Bank and Trust Co. of Devils Lake. In October of 2011, the name was changed to Ramsey National Bank. In 1982 shareholders of the Bank formed Ramsey Financial Corporation, a bank holding company, which then became the sole shareholder of the Bank. The holding company was formed to consolidate ownership and provide financial flexibility in operating the Bank.
In addition to the Bank’s main office in downtown Devils Lake, the Bank expanded its operations adding branches in Maddock and Esmond in 1987, Cando and Fargo in 1990, Leevers Branch in 1992, and Cavalier and Rugby in 1995.
In 1992 the Ramsey Financial Corporation and Affiliates ESOP was formed and in 2007 acquired majority interest in Ramsey Financial Corporation from the Hoghaug family who had been involved in the ownership for over 60 years.
The Bank provides its customers with a range of loan and deposit services typical of a community bank. The Bank’s trust department manages fiduciary assets for personal, agency, charitable, and retirement accounts. Management considers the Bank’s trade area to be the counties in which it has branches. The Bank has two ATMs – one in Devils Lake, and one in Fargo. Customers can also access their accounts via automated telephone, internet, and mobile banking. Lending specialties include agriculture and small business.